We opened December on a Friday morning with a “Donuts with Doug” talk on December 1st, and celebrated Holiday cheer again with Doug on December 15th.
Here are highlights of our two December gettogethers:
- Staff Changes – Longtime landscaper Rafael Medrano has retired, and Luis Diaz has taken his place as a landscaper with some ancillary maintenance duties. Anyone wanting to express good wishes to Rafael may do so at the resident activity on Wednesday, December 20 at 2:30pm in the Garden Room. Brian Bates has joined the SPOC team to fill in on overnight shifts on Saturdays and Wednesdays.
- Preparations for construction of a “Cartport” to house all Willows carts in the maintenance courtyard is scheduled to being soon to be complete by the end of March, 2018.
- The clarification of how to use the gate access codes to let family and friends enter the property has significantly reduced calls to SPOC after hours — thank you all for supporting the process!
- A simplified process to allow for Willows Foundation Board members to interact with residents when there is a board meeting around a mealtime is being tried out. Placards are being placed throughout the dining room with each Board member’s name to designate where they will be sitting, and residents may join at any time. Please enjoy getting acquainted with The Willows Foundation Board.
- A clarification of the timing of work being done by Willows Maintenance — their hours are Mon-Fri from 7:00am – 3:30pm and some on Saturday. Please be flexible about letting Carlos, Luis and Dan come to repair the needs in your Villa as their schedule allows.
- On the heels of #GivingTuesday it was shared that a total of 25 contributions were received, for a total of $7,615. This amount was doubled from a matching grant that had been awarded, generating $15,230 for the 2017 Capital Campaign — thanks for all the support!
- You may begin to notice signage being installed around the campus to identify specific locations, such as the Study Center, Bistro and new Restrooms. We will continue to install various signs to make it easy for families and visitors to know where they are.
- The Willows and Laguna Woods Village are now approaching the installation of the new perimeter fence for our property as strictly on LWV property and needing their financial investment. This message has been communicated to LWV for their consideration.
- Doug shared, on behalf of all of the staff, a sincere thanks for the wonderful generosity expressed in this year’s Employee Christmas Fund giving.
- A transition of Willows Foundation Board members has begun, with the completion of the maximum 15-year term of Barry Walson and the resignation of Nancy Krause. The Board will also now have representation from a broader geographical area, welcoming Rich Clark from New England and Richard Davenport from the St. Louis area beginning with the January, 2018 Board meeting. The Board will be modifying its meeting schedule to quarterly in-person meetings and interim activities using electronic communications and committees.
- Some minor concrete projects are slated to occur over the next few weeks to level out severely cracked portions of sidewalks and walkways. We are working this process in a manner to create the least amount of disturbance for folks walking around the property.
- Although not easily noticeable, a significant amount of work has been done to repair worn and damaged underground wires in Phases I and II of the property. This work has allowed for improved internet coverage in our Guest Houses, as well as a more stable broadcast system for making daily announcements and broadcasting the daily Lesson Sermon.
- As a follow-up to the Residents’ meeting earlier in December, Doug again summarized the changes to the bus stop locations around Willows Drive. Everyone is asked to pay careful attention to the new painting of the curbs around the circle — busses will now be stopping at yellow curbs where there are white benches, and there should be NO PARKING at any red curb. Thanks to all for your cooperation. Maps of these changes are being prepared for distribution.